From Daddy: We customarily read three books to Robert as part of the process for putting him to bed. This evening Robert selected The M&M’s Brand Counting Book to read as one of his selection.
As I was preparing to read the book, Robert asked (hee-hee!) if the M&Ms had peanuts in them! (Recall that Robert is allergic to peanuts https://beanieblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/february-in-review.) I said that they didn’t.
Then he asked, “Are they chocolate M&Ms?” I responded yes. Then he reminisced about how he gets two M&Ms as a “treat” when he successfully uses the potty (recall https://beanieblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/a-beanie-day-to-remember and https://beanieblog.wordpress.com/2011/07/11/he-is-proud-of-me), and said “andIlikethemso much!” It was so cute!
The Peanut M&M Incident
Actually, for more background, this spring, Robert had an allergic incident with a peanut M&M that we never got around to blogging.
On April 24, we were invited to an Easter picnic and egg hunt at Mother’s playground in Golden Gate Park.
Unfortunately, a peanut M&M unfortunately sneaked its way into the mix and wound up in Robert’s egg. He bit into the M&M, tasted the peanut, and spit it out (yay, Robert!). He announced the peanut to Mommy. Mommy confirmed the peanut and then ran to get me, and then we (Mommy, Robert, Grandma Carol, and I) sped home. At home, we gave Robert some baby Benadryl and a couple of light puffs from his emergency inhaler. Afterward, he took a nap.
A couple of hours later in bed, I felt the heat from Robert’s sleeping body. Hives had formed, so we took Robert to the emergency room. His spirits were wonderful and he delighted a few people in the waiting room. He was terrifically cute with the triage nurse. The nurse asked for his name and he said, “Wobert.” He kicked his legs adorably as he sat in that chair. He permitted the blood pressure test. He was great.
Later, they just gave him another dose of benadryl (no downside to that, they said) and a few minutes with a nebulizer (several inches from his face so that he wouldn’t freak out, which he didn’t), and we were discharged with a clean bill of health.
It was a scary incident, but I was so proud of Robert for knowing that he shouldn’t have peanuts and of the way that handled himself at the E/R. Robert is definitely my treat.