August 13 – 14, 2010 (long post!)

Robert jumps in the crib 4, August 13, 2010, 7:50 p.m.

Why was this a bittersweet photo? Find out below.

Milk on the couch 1, August 14, 2010, 5:45 a.m.

Why does this photo represent Daddy losing sleep? Find out below.

From Brian:

Check-Up Update

Mommy took Robert for his two-year-old medical checkup yesterday morning. Mommy says that Robert needed some convincing, but he agreed to be weighed and measured after Dr. Chan (Robert’s pediatrician) showed Robert how.

Robert remains somewhat below average in weight (39th percentile at 27 pounds 3 ounces) and height (26th percentile at 2 feet and 9.6 inches), but Dr. Chan declared Robert to be developing normally and that he won’t need another checkup for a year.

Afterward, Robert got a DTP (diptheria, tetanus, and pertussis) booster shot and the next round of hep B. Mommy reported that Robert was very sad about getting the “poke” (as he called it), but a binky made things much better when it was over.

Eating Black Beans 3, August 13, 2010, 12:31 p.m.

Yum, Black Beans

A bit later on, Mommy took the above lunchtime photo.

A Visit from the Girls

(or click to watch directly)

Robert and girls jump in the crib, August 13, 2010, 7:10 p.m.

Robert and girls jump in the crib

We were pleased to welcome the girls yesterday for a visit yesterday afternoon stretching into today. Robert had so much fun with them!

We all enjoyed a yummy dinner, except for Robert who decided not to eat anything. Punk.

Good-Bye and Hello to the Crib

On Wednesday of this past week, during one of Robert’s cry-fests, Mommy placed Robert in his crib with some books to chill out. Mommy left the room and, thump!, out of the room runs Robert having climbed out of his crib.

That night—after I returned from the class that I teach—we placed a mattress in front of Robert’s crib while he slept. (You can see parts of the mattress in the photos above and below.)

Robert in the crib 1, August 13, 2010, 7:48 p.m.

Sitting in the crib, behind bars

This weekend, we resolved to convert the crib into a toddler bed. We bought the conversion kit and parts when we bought the crib before Robert was born. So, after bathtime, with these photos we bade farewell to the crib.

Saying good-bye wasn’t always easy for us parents, but we wanted him to enjoy his final night of the crib.

Robert in the crib 2, August 13, 2010, 7:48 p.m.

Saying good-bye to the crib

Robert in the crib 3, August 13, 2010, 7:48 p.m.

By the way, Robert wrote on his face with markers

Robert in the crib 4, August 13, 2010, 7:49 p.m.

He gives me a quizical look when I suggest that he jump in the crib

(or click and to watch directly, alternatively this clip combines the two, but some resolution is lost)

Robert jumps in the crib 1, August 13, 2010, 7:49 p.m.

A funny look mid-jump

Robert jumps in the crib 6, August 13, 2010, 7:54 p.m.

Landing in the crib with a binky

Afterward, I read him stories and put him to bed for what was supposed to be his final night in the crib.

An Early Morning

Unfortunately, the final night didn’t last very long. He woke a little after 2:30 a.m. I brought him to our bed, but he flipped and flopped for an hour.

Finally, he no longer wanted to endure the bed. He crawled off and walked to the bedroom door. I convinced him to return to his bedroom so that we could read books. Secretly, I planned to re-create a bedtime situation, but after two books, he requested milk and he walked to the kitchen. There, he told me that he was hungry. Well, it was no wonder considering that he skipped dinner the night before. So he enjoyed a snack of goldfish crackers, milk, and toothpaste (he wanted to brush!). Then, it was shortly after 4 a.m. and he was wide awake.

We moved to the living room where his attempts to entertain himself quietly were failing. In my tired state, I turned on some Elmo DVDs. (Thank you for the DVDs, Grandpa and Grandma Pam. They were handy!)

Milk on the couch 2, August 14, 2010, 5:45 a.m.

Milk on the couch 5:45 a.m. in the morning. It was chilly, so I made sure that he had a blanket.

I fell asleep on the couch off and on. Thankfully, the girls emerged from their downstairs guest room in the late seven o’clock hour. I deputized Maia and returned to bed.

Morning Adventures

A was able to sleep for a couple more hours in the morning. When I emerged, everyone was health, happy, and hungry. Robert had some Cheerios while I was in bed, but I’m sure that he was hungry, too.

I made eggs all around for breakfast, though once more Robert declined to eat. (Actually, he was distracted because he was accidentally bonked.) Later, I worked on the crib.

First, we discovered that the toddler bed conversion pieces were a cherry wood color whereas our crib is oak-on-pine. We were given the wrong box! We called Lullaby Lane from whom we bought the set; they would accept the return but could not replace it with the proper wood for five months.

Next step, we decided to covert the crib fully into a kid bed. Yes, we bought that kit as well over two years ago. Below, are photos of the crib that I took just before disassembly (you know, in case I ever had to refer to them for reassembly):

Crib 1, August 14, 2010, noon

Crib - front left

Crib 2, August 14, 2010, noon

Crib - front right

Unfortunately, we discovered in the conversion kit’s instructions (which were not included in the box, but rather Mommy had to locate on the internet) that this particular kit was made in Italy and the original crib was made in Brazil (which we discovered by reading the label of the crib—those white sticker decals at the mattress line revealed in the these two photos that below!).

Crib 3, August 14, 2010, noon

Crib - looking down front right

Crib 4, August 14, 2010, noon

Crib - looking down at back left corner

So, we there were two different kits for the same crib design. The problem is that the national differences in the kits were incompatible; we needed adapter parts which Lullaby Lane no longer carried. Unfortunately, we discovered this after I disassembled the crib. Robert probably never knew.

Auntie Alison took the girls and Robert for a walk and lunch, so fortunately, I had the time to disassemble and reassemble the crib.

Hey, Wake Up!

Robert fell asleep in his stroller around 1:45 p.m. on the way home from lunch (at which, Auntie Alison reported, Robert extended his hunger strike; on the other hand, it was Indian food and was probably too new for him). I transferred him from street-level stroller in front of our house to our bed.

Auntie Alison and the girls returned to their home. I joined Robert in his nap. He probably napped for almost three hours (he needed it!) until nearly 4:45 p.m., but he woke up crying. Mommy comforted him and fed him two bowls of Rice Krispies (his favorite cereal), but he remained incredibly sad and clingy. Daddy was definitely not good enough, and he didn’t really want to be around me.

Mommy persuaded Robert that a walk was in order. Walks usually improve Robert’s mood. As they were walking out the door, Robert looked back at me longingly. He told me that he wanted me to join him. So I prepared to joined their walk. When we asked him where he wanted to go, he said, “Daddy’s car.”

He wanted me to carry him in my arms. I carried him downstairs and, through the garage, we walked to my car parked on the street. Then he wanted to enter my car. (He wanted to “Climb!” into his carseat, but I pushed him up because we were in the street.) He happily sat in his carseat. When we asked where he wanted to go, he said, “Ga-Ga’s house!”

His parents decided not to bother Ga-Ga, so he sat contently and awaited as his parents decided on a destination.

A Happy Ending

Mommy could tell that he was in a happy mood as we drove to dinner at the food court at the Stonestown mall. He didn’t eat too much besides carrots, chicken samples (leading me to order the full meal which he subsequently would not share), and bad french fries, but he loved walking around the mall.

(or click to watch directly)

Finally, for the first time in hours, I saw his beautiful smile. I also saw smiles from people watching him walk, wander, explore, and frolic about. Yes, he was incredibly cute! He was allowed to stay out later than usual because we were all so happy.

Eventually we returned home to bathtime and bed. I was pleased to read him bedtime stories again (third time in twenty-hours) as he sat on my lap. After his sadness waking from his nap, I was glad for some happy alone time.

After a third book, I snapped off his lamp. He turned from his sitting position to hold me as I held him. What a day we had, I told him. “But it’s time to go to sleep, so you can rest.
It’s time to go to sleep, so you can smile tomorrow.
It’s time to go to sleep, so you can laugh tomorrow.
It’s time to go to sleep, so you can play tomorrow.
And it’s time to go to sleep, so that you can make the world a better place
Because you already have.

I love you. Your Mommy loves you.
We are so proud to be your parents.
We are happy that you are our son.
And we are blessed to be a part of your life.”

Then I told him that we he woke up in the morning, “We’ll have more adventures!”

And with that, I put him to bed.


Leave a comment

Filed under Eating, Sleeping, Video

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s